Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Lose weight and get in shape by jumping rope


I have a success story that I am always forgetting to tell you about. My own sister went from a size 18 to a size 8 in less than 6 weeks without dieting! How did she do it? By jumping rope.

Let me tell you a bit about her first. She was about 210 lbs when she started her weight loss goal. She is 5' 9" tall. That is about 50-60 lbs more than the recommended weight for her height. She was upset about how much she weighed and was not too fond of the idea of diets. She was also the type to come home from work and just sit. She was the not the active type.

I don't know where she got the idea of jumping rope to get fit but I do know that she hated the idea of jogging. She did not have the inclination to join a health club or get involved in any organized sport so jumping rope made sense.

She bought a nice top quality jumping rope from a sporting goods store. It was her only investment in her goal. The rope cost $9. She started jumping rope after work as a way to unwind from the stress of the day. She decided to jump 100 jumps each day no matter how long it took. At first the 100 jumps took 20 minutes or more since she was so out of shape. Soon she was able to jump 100 jumps in 15 minutes, then 10 minutes.

She did not notice any difference in her body until the 3rd week when her clothing were feeling looser. By the 4th week she was facing the delemia of not having clothes that fit her anymore. At 6 weeks she was a size 8 and she only found out that because she had to shop for new jeans to wear and they were a size 8.

After all of that she found out that the was weight kept off and she did not have to do the 100 jumps a day routine anymore. She just had to jump rope a few times a week. She kept off those extra pounds for years after the jumping rope routine.

I also tried the jumping rope thing but I failed to keep it up for the entire 6 weeks. My failing was that I was always getting interrupted during the time I set aside to jump rope. I was doing great for about 2 weeks and then the 3rd week was a disaster time wise. The 4th week came around and I just gave it up. If I had only kept it up I wonder what shape and size I would be in today?

2 comments:

desertsunrise83 said...

ok so i tried this and I am not very good at jump rope but doing 10 at a time it took me 2 minutes to get to 100. are you sure it was only 100? your heart rate needs to be elevated for 30 minutes to burn anything. only doing 100 jumps wont reach that level.

Julie said...

Yes it does work and you are either extremely fast at jumping rope or your start and finish timing is way off. For the average person it would take about 4 minutes to complete the 100 jumps at a leisurely pace with very few missed jumps. Someone who was in shape and jumped very fast (one jump, no bounce jump between jumps) would complete the 100 jumps in about 1.5 minutes.

The amount of time that is spent doing the actual jumping is not the issue as much as the elevation of the heart and metabolism that the 100 jumps does. Once you have gotten into doing those 100 jumps every single day, your metabolism has now increased and is now causing your body to burn more calories even when you are at rest.

As to heart elevation for 30 minutes to burn calories that is bunk. Your body burns calories just by being alive. The average person will burn 1500 calories a day just to maintain body functions, even when they are sleeping.