Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Breast feeding woes

I often wonder how many new mothers actually have enough milk minutes after giving birth to actually breast feed their baby. I know that my milk did not come in until 3 days after my daughter was born. I was panic stricken at the time. I thought my daughter would starve without my milk but I found out from my doctor later that a new born baby can live 3 days before needing its first true feeding.

Needless to say, as I was waiting those entire 3 days, I did feed my daughter with formula until my milk came in. After my breasts became so large and full of milk I did not have to worry about how to increase breast milk production, I had more than enough for her. What I did have to worry about was when my milk "let down" at the sound of a baby cry. Having a wet top out in public was no fun at all.

No comments: