Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Discrimination because of being overweight

It is a sad fact that during tight employment times like now, subtle employment screening takes place. Unfortunately visual screening is the very first process that companies do to weed out potential employees. About 10 years ago I got a job over the phone because there was a shortage of what I did. Now with the high unemployment rate I have to go in to be seen for the interview. That means I not only have to dress up but look fit. Companies tend to not want people that will drive up their health insurance costs and being overweight is one of them.

Of course it would be hard to prove that anybody has been discriminated due to weight but with the rise in the amount of women going in for nip tuck procedures then you know that weight will play a part.

I would like to hear of any of your stories regarding looking for a job and your weight...leave a comment.

No comments: